Finance Director/Tax Collector
City of Berlin
168 Main Street
Berlin, NH 03570
Monday - Friday
8:30AM - 4:30PM
Duties & Responsibilities
- Balance cash and all accounts collected on a daily basis.
- Balance all accounts on a monthly basis and year end basis. Prepare year-end reports for the City and the Department of Revenue.
- Process NH Motor Vehicle Registrations and all related reports and inventories.
- Process and mail property tax bills.
- Prepare and mail delinquent notices for property taxes, sewer fees, current use, timber, excavation and special warrants. Notice includes all prior years’ liens.
- Coordinate and prepare all remaining unpaid accounts for impending lien notices to be mailed via certified mail. If the accounts are not paid by the due date, a tax lien is executed against the property, with a copy sent to the Registry of Deeds to be recorded. When the tax lien is paid in full, a redemption report is mailed to the Registry of Deeds so the lien can be released.
- Prepare deeding notices for tax lien accounts that are approaching the due date. These are sent via certified mail.
- Initiate tax deeds to the City for not-payment of tax liens; deeds then sent to the Registry of Deeds for recording. Preparing Opportunity to Repurchase letters and processing payments received.
- Daily telephone calls from banks, mortgage companies, attorneys, real estate offices and the general public requesting tax information pay off figures and other information.
- Prepare paperwork on bankruptcies and foreclosures in order to keep an accurate record of outstanding taxes due.
- Prepare electronic files for banks and tax service companies for payment of property taxes.